- Locations: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Russia, Chile, Italy, Mongolia, United States and Canada
- Color: Blue
- Name Origin: Its name comes from the Latin lapis meaning stone and the Persian lazhuward meaning blue.
- History/Lore: Lapis was being mined around Afghanistan as early as the 7th millennium BCE. It is one of the most sought after stones in use since mans history began. Lapis was used to ornament the funeral mask of King Tutankhamun. It was one of the finest and most expensive blue pigments used by the most important artists of the Renaissance and Baroque.
- Properties: Stimulates wisdom and good judgement; aids intellectual analysis; enhances memory; stimulates the desire for knowledge, truth, and understanding, and aids the process of learning.
- Hardness: 6.0 to 6.5
- Chemical Composition: (Na,Ca)8(AlSiO4)6(S,SO4,Cl)1-2